Mechanical MEP Engineer
The position’s responsibilities are focused on the design of mechanical, plumbing, and fire protection systems for new facilities, additions, and renovation projects. This position will require a self-starter that can independently provide technical leadership and create construction drawings, specifications, and existing system studies.
Qualified candidates will meet with clients, project teams, government officials, contractors, and others to address mechanical and plumbing engineering issues to develop effective working relationships.
A qualified applicant must be able to work on multiple projects while balancing efforts to effectively deliver documents to meet fast paced deadlines while adhering to budgetary constraints.
The candidate must:
- be in possession of a detailed understanding of the contract documents (drawings and specifications), phasing plans, MEP systems interrelationships, construction sequencing and project schedules.
- Facilitate problem solving, as may arise, between MEP Subcontractors during construction.
- Validate design issues related to MEP and suggest alternative solutions.
- Assist in the receipt and review of MEP submittals.
- Log and post all MEP changes and as-built information on field drawings.
- Assist in the scope review, budgeting and justification of MEP change work order.
- Assist in the installation of MEP work.
- Direct, monitor and control the activities of MEP Subcontractor.
- Coordinate and administer MEP related materials, systems, and shop drawings submittals.
- Liaise with Consultant MEP supervisory Engineers, Inspectors, and relevant staff.
- Ensure that MEP Subcontractors provides and adheres to relevant Quality documentation/records.
- Ensure that MEP Subcontractors adheres to Project safety regulations.
- Assist in the testing and commissioning of MEP equipment.
- Prepare plans, details, specified and cost estimated of plumbing, heating, ventilating, air conditioning, and general piping system
- Provide technical advice to Value Engineer, supervisor, and contracting service provider, regarding the installation and maintenance of the MEP System.
- Analyse Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing engineering problems and formulate solutions.
- Prepare and review costing (quotations, tenders, and B.O.Qs) for mechanical, electrical, and plumbing aspects – as the need arises.
- Provide MEP budget/cost estimates (viability appraisals) for projects.
- Carry out value engineering exercises on proposed designs and costs.
- Monitor and control project cost estimates and ensure that the right specification in line with approved designs is deployed on the projects.
- Review Contractor’s shop drawings against the design [tender] drawings for compliance with the design intent and return to Head, Development Planning & Control with appropriate comments/approval within the specified contractual period (normally 10 working days).
- Review contractor’s mechanical shop drawing in conjunction with the structural and electrical engineers to ensure engineering coordination and advise the Head, Development Planning & Control accordingly.
- Undertake general project site observation/inspection of the mechanical services works for Contractor’s adherence to the approved shop drawings and Consultant’s specification, good working practices, and construction schedule.
- Undertake off-site inspections of proposed equipment and materials as may be deemed necessary by the Project Manager.
- Undertake a prior review of the Contractor’s proposed mechanical system testing & commissioning methods
- Oversee on-site piped system pressure test, air conditioning duct leakage testing, and other testing that may be required during the first fix works and advise the Head, Development & Planning accordingly.
- B.Sc. degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Minimum of (4 hands on) years of construction experience with working knowledge of mechanical, electrical, and plumbing
- Construction procedures and practices
- Possess excellent communication and organizational skills
- Excellent coordination experience
- Ability to manage and coordinate multiple stakeholders on a daily basis.
- A highly self-motivated, ambitious individual
- A person with a high sense of urgency and a pro-active approach to problem solving
- High energy and action oriented with professional presence
- Knowledge of building systems, energy technologies, green building and high-performance design
- Team-oriented, hands-on, highly skilled, adaptive, and client-focused
- Knowledge of MEP construction and subcontracting
- Excellent report writing.
- Knowledge of energy efficiency, performance contracting, commissioning, BIM or green building will be considered as an important asset.
- Proven attention to detail
- Excellent presentation and written/oral communication skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision,